The Intelligence Estimate

Only an estimate. Actual intelligence may vary.


Food

We had an improv show last night, and afterwards four of us went out to eat and we closed down the restaurant. I left with my friend Susan because we were going to catch the same train. We get to the corner and are getting ready to cross the street when I hear a voice from behind me "is that for me?" I try to ignore it, but i just keeps getting louder and more insistant. After awhile I realized that it was a homeless person asking for the left overs I had in my hand. "Is that for me? Can I have that food? Lemme have that food." My solution? I crossed the street.

It was hard for me to deal with that because my usual answer to beggers is, "I'm sorry, I've got nothing!" Well, that line doesn't work when you're holding a doggie bag that suddenly seems larger than life. Susan tried to sympathize.

"It's hard when they ask for food because you can't counter with, 'No, I'm not giving you this. You'll probably just use it to buy drugs.'"

And she's right.

That being said, I'm glad I got to bring those leftovers home to my wife. She had them today for lunch.

This story is a lot like the movie "The Graduate," it's not over because it finally gets to the point...it just ends.

0 Responses to “Food”

Post a Comment



© 2006 The Intelligence Estimate | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health